Saturday, December 19, 2009

Evanston Town Meeting

On December 16th my friend Spencer and I organized a town meeting at which our Mayor, Will Davis spoke as well as candidate for governor, Ron Micheli. I also shared a few abbreviated thoughts and declared the purpose of the meeting, which was to provide an open forum to discuss matters that pertain to us on a local, state and federal level. We had about 50 people in attendance which I was pleased with considering most of the town meetings involving our senators or our congresswoman tend to have crowds of similar or even smaller sizes. Overall we accomplished our goals to learn more about our issues and candidates and hopefully to persuade others to get more heavily involved in these things.

For some reason I am not able to upload the video of Mayor Davis' speech. His was mostly a speech regarding our city's fiscal shortfalls due to the economy and how we are dealing with that as a city. He had one really great line which he quoted from earlier in his political career which was: "things are run by those who show up." I thought that was absolutely true and was hopefully a thought for those in attendance who do not frequently make it out to events regarding civic matters.

The video of me is included as well as the six, 10 minute parts of gubernatorial candidate Ron Micheli's speech.















No comments:

Post a Comment